Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Blueberry Season!

A week ago, we went blueberry picking at Bishop's Orchards in Guilford, Connecticut. (The locale was determined by the fact that we happened to be visiting my parents at the time...Bishop's is convenient when we're up there, but I'd like to try a pick-your-own place closer to New York, in New Jersey, if anyone has suggestions for good spots.)

I enjoy picking strawberries and apples. But I find blueberry picking oddly addictive. Maybe because it's so easy. You don't have to crouch down, you don't have to strain to reach, or scratch yourself silly reaching inside a tree for the perfect Empire. You just stand there, direct your hand to a bush that's at just the right height, and coax a handful of beautiful berries off the bush with less effort than it takes to brush a fly off your hand.

I had a hard time stopping. But it was hot and we had two little guys with us. The elder, Henry, our nearly four-year-old, has decided he "hates" blueberries, which didn't help. (This makes me so sad, not only because they were one of his favorite things when he was a little guy, but because I still have the whole Blueberries for Sal fantasy in my head. I always loved that book.)

At any rate, I think we came away with fewer berries than last year, because, though I bought some pectin to try canning, we actually managed to eat these berries without much alteration. I did, however, make a batch of blueberry muffins before they were gone. (Recipe coming soon.)

Meanwhile, if there's a pick-your-own spot in your area, I highly recommend heading out for some berries. It's an immensely pleasing and peaceful way to pass the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment