Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pickles

Awhile back--two years ago? three?--I got a hankering to make my own pickles, but the idea of canning (and botulism) has always intimidated me. So I looked for a few recipes for quick pickles, i.e. the kind you make, keep in the refrigerator, and eat within two weeks. I've been toying with various vegetables--carrots, radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, etc etc. ever since. My husband, Paul, is particularly fond of the radishes (see below). But then he's obsessed with summer radishes.

Anyway...here's my basic recipe. I fiddle with it a lot--sometimes I add curry powder and ginger, for example. I've also added garam masala. It's all good. Sugar alert: The brine IS high in sugar. Whenever I've reduced it a bit, it's been too vinegary. I like vinegar, and it's too vinegary for me. So far, only the one to one ratio has yielded that delicious sweet/tangy taste for me.

Vegetable: 
This works with basically any vegetable I've decided to pickle so far. I like to use about four cups of chopped vegetables. And I usually add very thinly sliced vidalia onion, as well.

Basic pickle brine:

-one cup cider vinegar
-one cup sugar
-few pinches of sea salt
-couple cloves of smashed garlic
-pinch or two of crushed red pepper (or chopped fresh jalapeno)
-handful of chopped dill
-handful of chopped cilantro
-a tablespoon or two of pickling spice (available at grocery stores and, in large quantities, at street fairs...I wrap it in cheesecloth or put it in a tea ball in the pickling container.)

Mix everything except the pickling spice up and pour it over the chopped/sliced vegetables of your choice in a container. Add the pickling spice and stick it in the refrigerator. By the next morning, you'll be in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment