Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tossing pizza

I've been trying to figure out the best, and easiest way to stretch pizza dough evenly. Mine usually end up okay, with some thin spots and a few patch jobs. Henry, oddly, has become the patching expert. Based on watching the guys at Ray's, and a few on the food channel, I've been putting some flour on the counter, rubbing the pizza around on it a little until it forms a pizza the size of a salad plate, then picking it up and "driving the bus" (a la the guy from Diners, Drive Ins and Dives), which involves gripping the top edge and rotating the pizza around, always with your hands on that top edge. Then I put it down on the parchment and stretch it a little more.

Based on all I've seen and read, I've been thinking all that pizza tossing is just show offy. I mean, no one I watch, on t.v. or in person, does it. But Henry wanted to do it, so we started goofing around with tossing it the other day--a process that involved me lunging around the kitchen to catch Henry's throws before the pizza ended up draping over the coffee grinder, or worse on the floor. But lo and behold, it stretched the dough. Even Henry's off kilter tosses stretched the dough. So, now I have a new thing to learn.

I was YouTubing the other night and found this video, of eight time world champion pizza tosser Tony Gemignani, demonstrating his tossing style. I'm going to give it a try.....

No comments:

Post a Comment